About the Profession
Pharmacy is an exciting career which is practiced in a wide range of settings: community pharmacies, hospitals, the pharmaceutical industry just to name a few. Of the health care professionals, pharmacists are referred to as medication specialists and therefore ensure safe and effective use of medications by the public. The traditional role of the pharmacist was limited to the compounding and dispensing of medications. This role has however evolved and pharmacists may perform more clinical roles for example in drug monitoring, drug research and development and consulting.
About The Programme
The Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy is awarded after successful completion of four years of study at the college. The program is designed to provide students with the necessary knowledge and skills to help patients achieve positive therapeutic outcomes with their prescribed medications and medical devices. Additionally students will be able to provide accurate and thorough drug information to patients and health care professionals.
Graduates of the programme will be able to:
- Provide patient centered care
- Manage medication use systems
- Provide accurate and detailed drug information
- Develop and manage a successful pharmacy practice
- Become an integral member of the health care team with the goal of improving patient care
- Applicants must have attained their 17th birthday by December 30 of the year of entry
- A minimum of five (5) passes at CSEC General Proficiency Level with Grade 1, 2 or 3 (June 1998 only) OR five (5) passes at GCE Ordinary Level with Grades A, B or C OR Pre health certification OR Any qualification considered by the College to be equivalent to the abovementioned.
N.B. Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and English Language are compulsory.
Applicants with the following qualifications may receive programme exemptions:
- Associate Degree in Chemistry or Biology
- Passes in Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination (CAPE) / GCE A’ level in Chemistry and Biology
Post Associate Degree Programme
- Pharmacists holding a Diploma/Certificate/Associate Degree in Pharmacy may be eligible to join the degree programme
Application forms may be collected from the Office of Student Affairs, Barbados Community College between 9.00 am to 3.00 pm or can be downloaded here. For further information: Tel: (246) 426-2858 Ext 5263 • Fax: (246) 435-3022 • Email: email@example.com.
Application close on Thursday 30 June, 2016.
This web site uses files in Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (pdf). This format is particularly useful for forms or newsletter where the layout and formatting need to be preserved on the screen or printer. To view or print these files you must install the free Adobe Reader. Click here to download it now!