BARBADOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE
The Board of Management of the Barbados Community College invites persons to apply for the following vacant position:
Manager, Human Resources & Labour Relations
The Office of Human Resources and Labour Relations provides integral support to the Barbados Community College in its continuous development as an institution that delivers quality education and training through the development and servicing of a diverse cadre of employees.
The Office of Human Resources and Labour Relations seeks to ensure that the best possible persons are recruited and retained in order for the College to achieve its mission and vision, and to ensure that the strategic objectives of the Organisation are achieved. This office is also charged with the responsibility to promote safety in the workplace, and to ensure good labour relations are fostered and maintained through employee engagement, conflict resolution and the promotion of good working relations among all employees and management.
This Office is also charged with the responsibility of ensuring that adequate compensation benefits are available to all employees, and that there is compliance with the established labour laws, as well as engaging the support of employee/labour representatives.
In an attempt to ensure that the Institution achieves its full mandate of responding to the education and training needs as expressed by our vital stakeholders, the Office of Human Resources and Labour Relations will seek to ensure that employees have the necessary tools to promote their success and this will be achieved through the provision of continuous professional development for all categories of employees. The Office of Human Resources and Labour Relations therefore seeks to provide a good working environment for all employees.
Applications indicating the position should be accompanied by a detailed Curriculum Vitae, two recent testimonials and should be sent on or before, Friday, February 3, 2023 by 4:00 p.m. to:
VACANCY - CONFIDENTIAL
Board Secretary, Board of Management,
via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged
Howell’s Cross Road
OFFICE OF THE HUMAN RESOURCES & LABOUR RELATIONS
TELEPHONE (246) 426-2858
FAX (246) 429-5935
MANAGER, HUMAN RESOURCES AND LABOUR RELATIONS
JOB TITLE: Manager, Human Resources and Labour Relations
WORK AREA: Office of the Human Resources and Labour Relations
TIME OF WORK: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday with one (1) hour for lunch. Members of staff may however be required to work flexible hours.
REPORTS TO: The Principal,The Board of Management
LIAISES/WORKS WITH: The Ministry of Education,
Technical and Vocational Training
Other Tertiary Level Institutions
SUPERVISES: HR Officer
LIST OF DUTIES:
- Developing, interpreting and implementing policies and strategies related to human resources management;
- Supervising the staff of the Human Resources and Labour Relations Department;
- Coordinating the recruiting, hiring, retention and performance evaluation of employees of the College;
- Evaluating based on qualifications and experience, where staff should be placed in relevant pay scales after they have been selected for posts and their contracts have been signed by the Board and the Principal and issuing Authorities to the Finance Officer. Consistency must be the hallmark in relation to this exercise;
- Keeping abreast of labour law legislation and protocols;
- Organising staff training in areas relating to human resource development and labour law issues;
- Evaluating the success of the implementation of human resources initiatives and programmes;
- Overseeing processes for the review and resolution of employee grievances, performance issues and disciplinary actions in accordance with provisions of the Staff Manual;
- Overseeing the computerization of staff records and updating of the databases.
- Organising the review and updating of documents relating to staffing matters inclusive of staff manuals, job description and the appraisal system and informing the Board through the Principal of these initiatives;
- Chairing the Health and Safety Committee of the College;
- Reporting to the Board through the Principal on the operations of the Human Resources and Labour Relations Department;
- Performing such duties as may be required by the Principal or the Board of Management from time to time.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management and a Master’s Degree in Labour Relations, or similar qualification.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ working experience in a similar position.
- Excellent knowledge and application of the employment legislation of Barbados.
- Demonstrated skills in the effective use of mediation and conflict resolution techniques, and practical application of employment law and processes for implementing performance evaluation and management.
- Proficiency in professional development and performance appraisal processes.
- Experience in recruitment and retention practices.
- Provision in Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Government’s personnel and recruiting processes would be a distinct advantage.
- Strong communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills, including written and oral communication, listening and presentation.
- Effective project and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple complex projects concurrently.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the mission and vision of the organization;
- Extensive knowledge of the functions and duties of the post and how they contribute to the mission and vision;
- Relevant knowledge of the Public Service Act, CAP. 25;
- Relevant knowledge of the Employment Rights Act (ERA) 2012-19;
- Relevant knowledge of the Safety & Health Act 2005-12;
- General knowledge of the BCC Staff Manual;
- Computer literacy;
- Telephone etiquette;
- Knowledge of operating electronic equipment provided.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must have an accessible and visible leadership style;
- Must have effective listening skills;
- Must have good interpersonal and organizational skills;
- A commitment to collaboration and shared governance;
- Proficiency in the use of all Microsoft applications;
- Demonstration of good time management skills;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to work with minimum supervision;
- Ability to work speedily and accurately under pressure;
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
ON THE JOB TRAINING: As required
- Must be prepared to keep up to date in profession;
- Must be willing to encourage and support organizational initiatives;
- Must be willing to share information, knowledge and resources with others when required to do so;
- Must establish and maintain good working relationships with all members of the BCC Community and the general public;
- Must maintain high moral and ethical standards.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
- Temporary/contractual in nature;
- Forty-two (42) days’ vacation leave per calendar year, fourteen (14) of which must be taken annually or lost. There is a maximum accumulation of one hundred and twenty-six (126) days. In either case, five (5) of the fourteen (14) days must be taken consecutively.
- Twenty-one (21) days sick leave may be granted per calendar year in the case of serving officers, and fourteen (14) days per calendar year in the case of temporary officers.
- While the standard time of work is 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, you may be asked to work outside of these hours and on Saturdays (if necessary).