BARBADOS COMMUNITY COLLEGE VACANCY
The Board of Management of the Barbados Community College invites persons to apply for the following vacant position:
Receptionist/Telephone Operator – The Jean and Norma Holder Hospitality Institute
The main aim of the Jean and Normal Holder Hospitality Institute is to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of workers in the Tourism/Hospitality industry through the relevant education and training.
As a Receptionist/Telephone Operator, you serve as the voice of the Institute, offering friendly service to those entering the building or calling in on the phone. You will assist in all hotel Front Office related functions in an efficient, courteous and professional manner that maintains high standards of service and hospitality.
Salary Scale: $2,033.73 - $2,641.81 (Z38-Z30)
Applications indicating the position should be accompanied by a detailed Curriculum Vitae, two recent testimonials and should be sent on or before Tuesday, July 12, 2022 by 4:00 p.m. to:
VACANCY - CONFIDENTIAL
Board Secretary, Board of Management,
via email only to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be acknowledged
SUMMARY OF CORE FUNCTIONS:
To assist in all Front Office related functions in an efficient, courteous and
professional manner that maintains high standards of service and hospitality.
LIST OF CORE DUTIES:
- Handles all hotel guest arrivals and departures using Property Management System Opera.
- Mans the PBX telephone system and routes all calls efficiently.
- Greets all customers and guests in a friendly and professional manner.
- Directs all queries to the appropriate department/persons.
- Maintains hotel guest folios.
LIST OF DUTIES:
- Operates telephone system
- Operates Property Management System
- Handles all customer and guest queries at the Front Desk
- Handles all hotel guest arrivals and departures
- Maintains accurate hotel guest folios
- Handles all Restaurants’ reservations
- Reads and initials the pass-on log and bulletin board daily. Be aware of daily activities and meetings taking place in the Institute.
- Attends departmental meetings.
- Co-ordinates guest room maintenance work with the engineering and maintenance department.
- Uses suggestive selling techniques to sell rooms and to promote other services of the hotel.
- Co-ordinates room status updates with the housekeeping department by notifying housekeeping of all checkouts, early check-ins, special requests and part-day rooms.
- Possesses a working knowledge and understanding of the reservations department; has the ability to take same day reservations and future reservations. Knows cancellation procedures and policies.
- Follows procedures for issuing and closing safe deposits boxes used by guests.
- Reports any unusual occurrences or requests to the manager or designated manager.
- Knows all safety and emergency procedures. Be aware of accident prevention policies.
- Maintains the cleanliness and neatness of the Front Desk area.
- Is required to work on a shift basis.
- Collaborates with Front Office Trainer for students’ on-the-job training in professional Front Office Reception and Telephone procedures; liaises with the Front Office Supervisor/Trainer for correct methods.
- May be required to assist with lifting of baggage from time to time.
- Performs any other reasonable duty that he/she may be called upon to do by any duly authorized person.
- Associate Degree or equivalent in Hotel Reception and Sales Procedures with at least three (3) years’ experience in a similar position.
- Four (4) subjects, including English at CXC General One or Two, Three or equivalent.
- Property Management System proficiency.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the mission and vision of the organization.
- Extensive knowledge of the functions and duties of the post and how they contribute to the mission and vision.
- Relevant knowledge of the Public Service Act CAP. 25.
- General knowledge of the BCC Staff Manual.
- Computer literacy.
- Telephone etiquette.
- Knowledge of operating electronic equipment provided.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Proficiency in the use of hotel Property Management Systems eg. Opera
- Proficiency in the use of all Microsoft applications.
- Demonstration of good Time Management skills.
- Demonstration of effective Interpersonal Relationship skills.
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Ability to work speedily and accurately under pressure.
- Ability to maintain high level of confidentiality.
ON THE JOB TRAINING: As required
- Must be prepared to keep up to date in profession.
- Must be willing to encourage and support organizational initiatives.
- Must be willing to share information, knowledge and resources with others when required to do so.
- Must maintain high moral and ethical standards.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE:
- Temporary in nature.
- Entitled to vacation as earned, maximum of twenty-one (21) days per calendar year.
- Sick days will be allowed on no pay from the commencement of employment, after which you will be entitled to fourteen days per calendar year.
- Based on the nature of the position, it may be necessary to work outside of normal hours, for which there will be no compensation.