French with Themes and Spanish with Themes provide an in-depth study of the people and their culture through a wide range of current social issues such as the youth, the environment, nutrition, technology, politics, education, business, tourism, etc.
This option has several advantages for the student:
- Sound preparation for university study and for students wishing to specialise in translation and/or interpreting.
- At the end of the course, students should be capable of reading and comprehending articles appearing in major French and Spanish journals and newspapers and understanding news items and programmes on radio and television.
- The study of Literature, which includes an overview and at least one (1) of the major authors, facilitates further study of the language at university.
- The development of analytical skills and the knowledge gained from the content of the course provide a good foundation for life-long learning and serve the student well in the world of work especially in the fields of education, foreign affairs, tourism and international business.
- Though general in focus, the tourism and tour-guiding component is a good start for the student who might opt to work in that sector.
- The student finishes the course with a feeling of self-worth, with a breadth of knowledge that he or she did not possess before and has more confidence in presenting his or her arguments.