The minimum requirements for entry into the College are:
- Four (4) passes at CSEC General Proficiency Level with Grade 1, 2, or 3 (from June 1998 only) OR
- Four (4) passes at GCE Ordinary Level with Grades A, B or C OR
- Any qualification considered by the College to be equivalent to the abovementioned.
NB Mathematics and English are compulsory. The other two subjects may be a combination of any of the following: Visual Art, Technical Drawing or a Technical subject and Geography.
Persons applying for admission to this programme are required to complete a Portfolio to the Student Affairs Office, Barbados Community College. The portfolio should consist of the following projects:
- Written submission - an 800 word essay enti-tled, "My idea of architecture is… and I want to study architecture because..."
- Graphic submission - A drawing of a chair or chairs, a collection of organic material (eg leaves, bark) and, a drawing of a bag or a group of bags.
- Five examples of artistic and design work. Your examples could be any of the following areas:
- Freehand sketches/drawings life drawing
- Photography models/3D work
- Paintings collages/montages
- Sketch studies graphic design
- Orthographic drawings precedent stud-ies/research projects (artists/architects)
- ALL submissions must be no larger than 11” x 17” size paper.
If a group collaborated on any of the samples included in the portfolio, please clearly indicate what you were instrumental in contributing.
The Architectural Studies selection committee strongly discourages the inclusion of technical/mechanical construction documents in the portfolio. It is very important that the portfolio contains work illustrating your creativity rather than only your technical ability. We are looking for observation skills, criticality, invention and representation.
Any queries concerning this correspondence please contact Mr. Samuel Bowen at email@example.com or Marisha Browne at firstname.lastname@example.org.